Composer Robert Schumann struggles to compose his symphonies while his loving wife Clara offers her support. Also helping the Schumanns is their lifelong friend, composer Johannes Brahms.
- Katharine Hepburn - Clara Wieck Schumann
- Paul Henreid - Robert Schumann
- Robert Walker - Johannes Brahms
- Henry Daniell - Franz Liszt
- Leo G. Carroll - Professor Wieck
- Elsa Janssen - Bertha
- Gigi Perreau - Julie
Hepburn trained intensively with a pianist for this 1947 film, so that she could be filmed playing the piano. When Henreid is playing piano, the hands of Ervin Nyíregyházi are seen. The soundtrack for the picture was recorded by Arthur Rubinstein.