Shortly after the Second World War, Max, a transplanted American, visits an English pawn shop to sell his trumpet. The shopkeeper recognizes the tune Max plays as one on a wax master of an unreleased recording, discovered and restored from shards found in a piano salvaged from a cruise ship turned hospital ship, now slated for demolition. This chance discovery prompts a story from Max, which he relates both to the shopkeeper and later to the official responsible for the doomed vessel, for Max is a born storyteller.
And what a story he has to tell, of a baby boy, discovered in 1900 on an ocean liner, who grew into a musical prodigy, never setting foot on land.
- Tim Roth - Danny Boodmann T.D. Lemon Nineteen Hundred '1900'
- Pruitt Taylor Vince - Max Tooney
- Bill Nunn - Danny Boodmann
- Clarence Williams III - Jelly Roll Morton
- Mélanie Thierry - The Girl
- Gabriele Lavia - Farmer
- Peter Vaughan - 'Pops', the Shopkeeper
- Niall O'Brien - Harbor Master