December, 1776: After losing New York, the Continental Army retreated across New Jersey, escaping just in the nick of time across the Delaware River into Pennsylvania. Morale was at the lowest point, and there were doubts whether George Washington was competent to lead the Army.
Realizing that something had to be done, Washington conceived an audacious plan, to re-cross the Delaware on Christmas night and attack the Hessian garrison at Trenton. Now he just had to overcome the winter weather, the icy river, the lack of supplies and his soldiers' fatigue to pull off the attack that would save the Revolution and the United States.
- Jeff Daniels as Gen. George Washington
- Roger Rees as Gen. Hugh Mercer
- Sebastian Roché as Col. John Glover
- Steven McCarthy as Alexander Hamilton
- John Henry Canavan as Gen. Henry Knox
- Ned Vukovic as William Alexander, Lord Stirling
- David Ferry as Gen. Nathaniel Greene
- Nigel Bennett as Gen. Horatio Gates
- Karl Pruner as Gen. John Sullivan
- Duncan McLeod as Williams
- Andrew Kraulis as Billy
- Kelly Harms as Tommy
- Jonathan Watton as Cadman
- Kris Holden-Ried as Capt. Heineman
- Julian Richings as McKenzie
This 2000 movie was produced by Columbia TriStar for A&E and won a Peabody Award in 2001.